Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Yet Another Climbing Post

Most of my trips this semester were mostly climbing related. Some personal, some with uni but they were all good experiences. I am just going to lump all the highlights into one post. Actually, not done yet...still got one more trip to do but anyway here goes...

It takes us about a three hour drive west to get to the climbing sites. Thank God there are nice sunsets once in a while to admire while doing the long drives.
Usually I drive the 12 seater Ford on the left pulling the trailer along but sometimes I get to be "Ah Mat" with the Holden wagon on the right. All uni vehicles...so petrol is on them.

Time to play "Wheres Wally"! The organ pipes tend to get a fair bit of climbers during the weekends or public holidays like the ANZAC Day. How many climbers do you see on the wall? The answer is below this post and don't cheat!
The "extras" at the bottom as Peter Martin (lecturer) and myself were leading a climb each for this guys to climb them.

One classmate shared in class that she always feels calm and at peace while on the wall. That is her hanging on for her dear life after taking a big fall and swing which was followed up with a scream that can be heard miles away. Peter had to down climb to hoist her up as she was too shaken to carry on. Haha...there goes her "peace and calm".

A shot of Central Gully while belaying from the third pitch of Dunes.

Shadow of the mountain that overcast our campsite down below. Looks near but it takes us a good half an hour to get back.

In memory of the guy who fell two years ago...leaving behind his wife and a five year old son. This sort of thing reminds me not to do anything stupid while being up there.
While on the way back to Stawell, Peter wanted to show me the biggest koala in the world. Its a touristy thing.
I managed to save my eight year old much loved Sportiva climbing shoes from breaking apart by sending them for a resole. It feels like new on the outside but with the good fit on the inside.
The usual state of my hands after a climbing trip. I don't think you want to see the other side especially after doing some crack climbing. Anyway, I just have one more trip before these hands can take a break from climbing.
Answer: 17 climbers

No comments: