Saturday, April 5, 2008

Easter & Mid Semester Break

Uni here a bit slack...not even half way through the semester already got mid semester break!


Okay. By looking at this, can guess what I did during my break. Anyway, this is the right side of central gully at the Araps. Good multi pitch climbs with good views; something like Thaiwand wall in Krabi but maybe view cannot fight with Thaiwand wall.


Bygone, grade 11, 30 meters, will never forget this climb. I was leading it the previous day then rain and it got too dark to complete. So ended up leaving some protection on the wall overnight. Dave (abseiling down) and I went there early, scared the ang mohs kope my protections. Started the climb with good sunny weather then it started raining and the wind!!! I was climbing in shorts and tshirt...cold until cannot think properly while setting anchor and belaying. Lesson one: don't trust the weather forecast.


Dave ended being my climbing buddy for the day. Here he is on the third pitch of Sirens. If you look carefully, two of his first five protection came off! Lesson two: life here becomes very short when you get a buddy like Dave.


Example of anchor set up with natural protection but not a very good one. Just imagine trusting your whole life on three small pieces of metal stuck in the crack. Lesson three: bolts vs natural pro; choose bolts anytime.


Here is an example of a grumpy climber carrying all the extras for a short single pitch but sometimes I tend to run out of choices of protection on longer climbs. Lesson four: rather be grumpy carrying extras than having big run-outs and having few protection. Be safe. Not sorry.


I brought my whole Easter chocolate fudge cake for lunch but before we can eat it, kanna smudge on the tarp. So Lisa did me a favour by licking it off for me. Hungry what! What to do.


Later that week, I went for church outing...go to this place which is near mine to make and throw boomerang. Never knew it existed.


Here is mine. Not bad for a half an hour effort and it cost only ten bucks. Willing to sell for the same price. No labour and creativity charge. Guarantee fly back one. Any takers?

1 comment:

gLeNiSe said...

not bad for a first time boomerang. Looks pretty decent huh...

wah...ur rockclimbing certainly made me drool...not the fudge cake that was licked off something something...=)